[Qgis-developer] standardisation of the editing map tools: modify behaviour of press-pan-release tools

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Wed Sep 24 10:00:45 PDT 2014

>>> What about writing per tool, the behaviour you propose in a QEP
>>> (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals) so we can discuss
>>> it there?
>>
>> yeah, I wonder if this really needs one. It's quite a small change with
>> not many consequences.

I think the mails so far already show that it's no easy topic and I
think there should be a QEP.

> IMHO QGIS should do it similar to other GIS packages (how is this solved in e.g. ArcGIS
> or MapInfo?) because users coming from similar software packages should feel at home,
> not those coming from CAD.

I tend to agree with this, +1
but then there's also a point that the usual GIS packages might have
got it wrong ;-)

>From a non-CAD users point of view, I've also had issues wrapping my
head around the concept of using CAD tools. The concepts might be
superior, but I have to agree with others before me that they don't
seem intuitive to me.

Best wishes,
Anita