[Qgis-developer] standardisation of the editing map tools: modify behaviour of press-pan-release tools

Ramon Andiñach custard at westnet.com.au
Mon Sep 29 15:15:21 PDT 2014

+1  for 3 with the current way as default.

I think there are already enough key modifiers that affect tools in QGIS, that the forth way probably isn't optimal; but a shortcut to toggle modes might be useful.

On 25/09/2014, at 14:49 , Andreas Neumann wrote:

> I think we should be open-minded towards Denis ideas and not
> categorically reject any changes in curent behaviour. Enabling the CAD
> mode enables a lot of possibilities compared to the current mode.

I do apologise if I did come across as close minded. It seems to me that as originally suggested (option 1) it's a very large change to the user's interaction with the program, even if it is a small change to make. It would need to be widely publicised and up the top of the release notes if it did happen. People that don't read much social media or blogs should be able to find out before they try to use the tools.

Wandering of topic a bit, I'm beginning to wonder if I partly reacted to "standardisation", which I read as let's change the standard that we use for that part of QGIS. Looking over what's been discussed, I could restate the topic as "Inconsistency in the editing map tools" - would that fit?

If its the former than there's a larger question that probably needs opening up in another thread, given that there are other recent changes that were argued as, "this is the way Inkscape does it".

-ramon.