[Qgis-developer] QGIS GRASS plugin - modules upgrade

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 12:39:43 PDT 2015

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7/NewFeatures#Replacedandremovedmodules

https://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass/branches/releasebranch_7_0/lib/gis/renamed_options

> >> If you upgrade a module definition in QGIS, please update also its
status on
> >> https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS-QGIS_relevant_module_list
> >
> > I wonder why UI is not generated on the fly or during compilation? To
> > maintain manually UI in QGIS is complicated and the result will be
> > always out-of-date. Just 2 my cents, Martin
>
> UI is generated on the fly when a module UI is opened. It is using
> options description printed by GRASS module (--interface-description)
> combined with options definition for the module in QGIS (.qgm file).
> The additional options definition in QGIS is mainly for two purposes:
>
> 1) limit number of options not to frighten users, some GRASS modules
> are also represented as multiple items with predefined options

Hi Radim and Martin,

I guess that one of the reasons for QGIS interface for GRASS. Anyway, is
there a option of not using .qgm file and using --interface-description
only? This would not only enable some of the hidden features but more
importantly, it would enable to use of modules from GRASS GIS Addons
repository.

> 2) define relations between options (e.g. type or column option
> relation with input vector) or special options which has dedicated
> widget in UI (e.g. GDAL/OGR input).

This should be defined in GRASS GIS. If it is missing in GRASS or in the
--interface-description then it is a bug which should be solved.

Here are examples of guidependency "option attribute":

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/vector/v.distance/main.c#L222
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/scripts/v.what.vect/v.what.vect.py#L15

> It was surely difficult to keep options in sync with GRASS modules,
> but with the new debugging tool (in master), it is possible to check
> all options/modules with just one click.

This sounds really good.

Best,
Vaclav