[Qgis-developer] Future of OpenLayers plugin - time to deprecate?

h hdixon at bigpond.net.au
Wed Dec 30 21:47:08 PST 2015

On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 22:42:27 -0500
Randal Hale <rjhale at northrivergeographic.com> wrote:

> As a non-developer if I can chip in my .02 cents worth - I think
> deprecating it might be a good thing. To me it was always a plugin
> that received a lot of applause - but the one that would cause the
> most questions ("why can't I use this imagery in map composer").
> While I liked having access to google/bing imagery - it always made
> me more uncomfortable having it there because of the terms of service.
>
> I didn't know that QuickMapServices was a plugin - and after looking
> at it I think most people will have a problem because there is no
> google/bing imagery in that one. In the US I have enough choices for
> imagery - and that might not be the case everywhere else. I'm unsure
> how up to date MapQuest Aerial is - but better than nothing.

I got caught on that one.
In QuickMapServices>Settings there is a "Contributed Services" tile.
Select "Get Contributed Services" and a whole lot of stuff, including
Bing and Google are provided.

To me QMS makes "Open layers" obsolete - but it needs a bit more
documentation on how to get Bing etc!!!

On principle I am against retirement, but am not aware of a strong
argument against it for Open Layers.  (Something I have used and valued
for quite some time..)