[Qgis-developer] Processing algs documentation and createAlgorithmHelp

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Tue Jun 16 00:28:28 PDT 2015

On 16-06-15 08:58, Arnaud Morvan wrote:
> I've see that processing algs documentation have been refactorized, for
> now there is one .rst file for each group instead of one file for each
> algorithm in the past.
> This should have been made to reduce the number of files.

Hi Arnaud,

Yes, we went 'lost' a couple of 100 files... :-)
Reducing the number of files had 2 purposes:
- it speeded up the build of the documentation, because for every build
we pull the translations from transifex, which is a slow process,
pulling one by one....
- the pdf became awfully heavy... though we have changed the buildscript
now so that theseprocessing algo's are not in the pdf version at all
anyway...

Please let us know when you (or another active french translator) finds
(algorithm) resources in Transifex, which are not available anymore in
the docs.

> On another side, there is some functions in processing.tools.help that
> create the help files for algorithms, the old way, one file for each
> algorithm, with title level shifted compared to new help files.
>
> Accordingly, updating an algorithm documentation is now much more
> complicated.

Mmm, not sure why this is more complicated then before, but you are
right that we have two systems in place to document (actually even more:
we also have the context help).
It is our plan to go to one(!) system, all based on rst/sphinx.
Martin offered to work on that.

> Furthermore, there is, in QGIS-Documentation master branch an algorithm
> description which should have been merge with old format (one file in a
> group folder).

I'm not sure what you mean here, can you be more precise? As it is
master and not yet translated, things can still be easily fixed there..

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde