[Qgis-developer] GeoCoding plugins

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 00:47:13 PDT 2015

> Hi all,
> I just approved yet another geocoding plugin:
> http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/GeoCodingKorea/
> I feel uneasy about this proliferation: do you think we could help
> developers merging their efforts? Maybe we can add one of the existing
> ones to core, making it pluggable, so we can invite developers to add
> their national system as a plugin, instead of reinventing the wheel?
> All the best.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Hi,

GeoCoding functionality is also available directly in GDAL core, we could
also use that API and leave particular (local) cases for plugins, see my
experiments here to get and idea about what can be done with GDAL GeoCoding
API:

http://www.itopen.it/geocoding-with-gdal/lang-pref/en/

The main concern I see with core inclusion is that most of the times you
are using proprietary geocoding services (like Google's one) you break
their TOS. Expecially when doing batch geocoding, you also have to take
care of number of calls/sec. and you *must* implement local caching (as
GDAL does).

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it