[Qgis-developer] Project quality discussion

Hugo Mercier hugo.mercier at oslandia.com
Fri Nov 6 11:29:32 PST 2015

On 06/11/2015 17:40, Alex M wrote:

> I caution the use of $ to directly influence the QEP review and Pull
> Request reviews. Some sort of bounty pool, allowing core devs to get a
> stipend for clearing big reviews might be an option. So companies can
> contribute to QGIS and that money can go to expedite all QEP and Code
> reviews, but not a specific one. I'm mostly concerned with paid funding
> driving the direction of the project into strange niches and increasing
> the core code maintenance tasks. Plugins seem a much easier way to pay
> for exactly what you need.

Plugins are not always doable or desirable.
But I share your concerns about paid funding that drive the direction of
the project. This is why we thought it should be "validated" somehow by
the project which will act as a neutral intermediary. And this is why I
think a core dev should publish its intents by issuing a PR for each new
feature.

> Free work vs volunteer work is tricky to draw a line between in a
> project like this. I think you'd have to survey the devs about what %
> they think comes from each in order to account for time spent at
> salaried job helping QGIS, time spent improving QGIS to help you sell
> services (consultants), time spent being directly paid to do X with
> QGIS. There are tons of ways that time is not exactly volunteer.

Yes. Count at least the time you are sure is fully voluntary :) (it
could be close to 0 ... this is my case)