[Qgis-developer] Plugin migratin -> mailing list?

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Sun Nov 8 11:42:47 PST 2015

Hi

> On 08 Nov 2015, at 20:59, John Layt <jlayt at kde.org> wrote:
>
> On 8 November 2015 at 08:40, Tom Chadwin <tom.chadwin at nnpa.org.uk <mailto:tom.chadwin at nnpa.org.uk>> wrote:
> I can only speak about UK legislation. That only allows the use of collected
> personal data for purposes explicitly stated at the time of collection. I
> don't believe such permission is sought when plugins are submitted. Are
> there any terms and conditions which bind plugin authors?
>
> In the "I am not a layer" category,

Nice GIS faux pas :-)

> it strikes me that it doesn't matter what the law is in your or my jurisdiction, whether that is the UK or Italy or the US, what matters is the law in the jurisdiction of the collecting party at the point(s) of collection and storage? Which for QGIS plugins would be?

QGIS.ORG <http://qgis.org/> as of a week or so from now will be registered in Switzerland so I guess Swiss rules will apply. That notwithstanding I think the fact that we never had any clear guidance as to how we intended to use email addresses added to metadata should make us err on the side of caution: maintain the ’non communication’ status quo for existing plugins and mandate that any new uploads agree to explicit terms when they upload any new version of their plugins.

Regards
Tim

> John.

—