[Qgis-developer] Project quality discussion

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 00:46:38 PST 2015

> Hi
>
> On 06 Nov 2015, at 19:40, Alex M <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
>

> 8< ————— snip ------------
>
> If a company wants something that makes it into Core, it should be
> pre-approved via a QEP. The fallback should be a plugin.
>
> I caution the use of $ to directly influence the QEP review and Pull
> Request reviews. Some sort of bounty pool, allowing core devs to get a
> stipend for clearing big reviews might be an option. So companies can
> contribute to QGIS and that money can go to expedite all QEP and Code
> reviews, but not a specific one.
>

> Agreed -We need salaried QGIS.ORG <http://qgis.org> staff that can review
> these things independently of who it comes from or if / how they have
> financed QGIS.
>
> Regards
>
> Tim

I generally agree, but I would prefer if the salaried QGIS.ORG staff would
only act as a coordinator in managing the review queue coming from not-core
devs to guarantee scheduled times (since the core-devs go into the
quarantine queue with automatic approval if no one raise exceptions) and
should delegate/outsource the code review job to the core devs (or
externally if no one is available) and only if/when needed (i.e. because of
lacking volunteers).

We are not moving from a volunteer based project, do we?

I also wish to thank Hugo for starting this topic, it's not easy to talk
about this, since it crosses personal choices, philosophical believes,
economical interests etc...

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it