[Qgis-developer] Geometry Checker contra Topology Checker

Sandro Mani manisandro at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 14:12:30 PDT 2015

On 06.10.2015 22:28, Salvatore Larosa wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 8:33 PM, Giovanni Manghi
> <giovanni.manghi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Is it Geometry Checker replacement for Topology Checker? It has more
>>> options but does not support multiple layers. What is the future,
>>> Geometry Checker or Topology Checker or both merged together?
>>
>> this is the classic example of bad redundancy we would need to remove
>> in QGIS. Not only we have now the geometry checker and the topology
>> checker, but there is also a core python tool to check for geometry.
>> It seems to me that the last two should should eventually be merged in
>> the first one, considered that they do not offer any tool to fix the
>> geometries and that they have a few issues (slow, problems with
>> reprojected layers, false positives, etc.).
> Just as additional note, we have two identical entries under the
> Vector menu "Geometry Tools".
The cause of this is that fTools creates the "Geometry Tools" vector
menu entry internally, whereas the C++ plugins use the QgisInterface
method "addPluginToVectorMenu". I suppose the reason for the fTools
behaviour is that the QgisInterface method does not allow you to specify
the icon for the menu entry. And I suppose the reason
QgisInterface::addPluginToVectorMenu does not allow you to specify the
icon is because this would lead to potential inconsistent behaviour when
multiple plugins use the same label text but different icons. So I'm not
sure how to best solve this.