[Qgis-developer] New GRASS plugin: a test drive

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 01:06:51 PDT 2015

On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 8:02 PM, Pedro VenĂ¢ncio
<pedrongvenancio at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I also found that saving edits with "Save edits" button in the attribute
>> > tabel takes no effect. With other layers (not GRASS layers), it works
>> > well.
>>
>> It should not take any effect, because with GRASS, the data are
>> written immediately to file+table. Are you missing the data somewhere
>> the data are expected to appear after save edit?
>
> You are right, everything is automatically saved. But I think this question
> will certainly be raised by users in the future. Maybe it's something to
> explicitly place in the documentation.

Sure, I'll start the documentation with warning about this. The
documentation is on my TODO but I still prefer fixing bugs over doc.

> Or remove the Save button from attribute table of GRASS layers. Or put this
> button with the same behavior of Save Edits Layer from Digitizing Toolbar.
> In this case, although the data are already saved, the behavior is similar
> to saving other data sources (shapefiles, postgis, etc).

The 'Save Layer Edits' is now hidden from 'Digitizing Toolbar' but
'Save Edits' in attribute table is not currently accessible from
plugins.

>> The tool you used, 'Add Area' is just a shorthand to digitize closed
>> boundary (boundaries are line strings, not closed rings). Place a
>> centroid inside and you should see the polygon when editing is closed.
>
> Precisely, it works perfectly in this way. But it is not very intuitive.

The user must have some minimum knowledge about GRASS topological
model. Note that 'Add Area' makes only sense for isolated areas,
common boundaries of adjacent areas must be digitized by 'Add
Boundary' because the boundary is shared by areas on both sides.

Radim