[Qgis-developer] Release schedule discussion - again

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Oct 12 06:46:37 PDT 2015

Hi Anita,

I know that I don't need to update every release.

By stressful - I don't only mean myself as a governmental user - but us
all (the people involved with the QGIS project). For you as well. Why do
we have to release so often? Aside from web browsers - I don't know a
single open source project that releases so often.

In reality, there wasn't a single release that did not need a patch
release shortly after.

By concentrating on fewer releases we could invest more resources in
quality assurance, testing, etc.

Who really needs a release every four months?

We also put stress on our users - if they don't upgrade every release -
they risk that their project doesn't load properly anymore. There are
many cases where the user tried to upgrade - say from 2.2 to 2.8 and ran
into troubles because he skipped 2.4 and 2.6.

I think the time based releases are a very good idea - but to release
every four months is too often.

Andreas