[Qgis-developer] Release schedule discussion - again

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Oct 12 14:15:41 PDT 2015

Hi,

> Andreas how would you see the LTR releases working in relation to a
> slower release cycle? I have thought at times that we should make the
> LTR’s longer lived e.g. 2 years (1 year is not really that ‘long term’).

I agree, 2 years support for the LTR releases seems more useful. But
this would then mean, that if we have an LTR release every year, that
we'd need to maintain 2 LTR versions in parallel.

Or we'll try the Ubuntu release cycle ... every 2nd year there will be a
release with long-term support and then maintained for 4-5 years (seems
a bit long to me). The Ubuntu release cycle works really well for my
Linux servers - I have to say. I use only the LT Ubuntu releases and
have a good mixture of being relatively up-to-date while only having to
do major upgrades every second year.

Andreas