[Qgis-developer] Release schedule discussion - again

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Oct 13 00:48:17 PDT 2015

Hi all,

So there seems to be a general agreement to invest more into quality/bug
fixing/testing - but not so much about the release frequency.

-----------------------------------

I'd like to mention some more reasons for fewer releases:

* the plugins: plugin authors are more likely to test and fix their
plugin for a new release if it isn't released every 4 months. We often
have the case that if a user updates to a new version, that their
favourite plugin that they need may be broken  and they'll have to wait
several weeks until the author can fix it
* same applies for inhouse plugins that organizations maintain for
themselves
* training material, documentation and books - have a hard time keeping
up. If you are lucky, you'll get a book that covers 2.6 or 2.8.
* the general perception for QGIS users that they are always many
versions behind - don't you think it is kind of frustrating for our
users to be always several releases behind - because they need to rely
on older versions? I remember many email threads where users have
described a problem and we tell them that is fixed in master - what does
it help them, if they are on the older version and supposed to use the
LTR release in a production environment?
* testing: as I said - I believe you will get more/better testing if we
slow down

Thanks,
Andreas