[Qgis-developer] QEP - Proposal for QGIS 3.0 after 2.14

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Sat Oct 24 04:27:17 PDT 2015

Hi Mathieu,

On Sat, 24. Oct 2015 at 09:44:31 +0700, Mathieu Pellerin wrote:
> On a psychological level, as the heavy development of new features has in the
> past mostly taken place on the master branch, it'd make it clearer to devs
> that the heavy feature development takes place there, and not on the 2.14
> LTR branch.

Like symbology-ng, multithreaded rendering and the new geometry classes?  I
think most major features have been developed in a separate branch and
then merged into master, when they reached a good enough state.

I think master should constantly be in a reasonably good state - which the
Qt5/PyQt5/Python3 branch will probably initially not be.   But hopefully after
four month of work it will - ready to me merged back into master.

And as for new features in 2.14 I'm not so sure either - new features don't
help with the porting.  And who adds features must be aware, that it also needs
to be mergable into the other branch or if that's not possible reimplemented
for it.  That should keep people from doing major stuff unless they really are
prepared to do it twice.

I'd say we should replace master with the other branch after 2.14 (like in [0]).

Jürgen

[0] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2862590/how-to-replace-master-branch-in-git-entirely-from-another-branch).

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode