[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-user] QGIS Crash Message

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Aug 9 12:13:03 PDT 2016

Hi

> On 08 Aug 2016, at 1:32 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:
>
> On 08-08-16 12:51, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>>> On 08 Aug 2016, at 11:00 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it
>>> <mailto:cavallini at faunalia.it>> wrote:

>>> Agreed, possibly the most unfriendly thing in QGIS.
>>
>> I am +0 on this:
>>
>> Con:
>>
>> In windows we often used .reg files e.g. when doing training courses to
>> reset specific settings so that trainees all have the same state (you
>> can just double click on the .reg file to apply it). We also can use the
>> registry to enable things via NSIS installers - for example we make a
>> nightly build of the plugin (http://nightly.inasafe.org) which is
>> packaged as an NSIS installer that makes sure the plugin is activated in
>> the user's profile.
>>
>> Probably we can do the same things by manipulating .ini files but the
>> current system is pretty easy.
>>
>> Pro:
>>
>> Using a unified configuration system on all platforms would be nice...
>
> I think having an option to use the registry on windows would be best
> then. As Régis also stated, in some enterprise environments it as
> apperently not doable to use the not-registry option...
>
> Then we have best of both worlds?

Probably we can add a setting in QGIS to indicate whether settings should be in native or ini style format [1]. Of course that is a bit paradoxical since it will need to read the settings to get the setting for reading the settings .... :-)

[1] http://doc.qt.io/qt-4.8/qsettings.html#QSettings-3

Regards

Tim

> Regards,