[Qgis-developer] A common set of functions for QGIS plugins

Etienne Trimaille etienne.trimaille at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 00:35:16 PST 2016

I'm discovering that 'old' topic.
Yes, I really like the idea, but I wasn't aware about that.
I think the UI should be more uniform between plugins and QGIS, for
instance to have :
- the same combobox about layers (using the symbol for the geometry type
and the EPSG if the checkbox is checked in the Processing settings)
- the same combobox for table fields (symbol with the kind of field :
integer, char ...)
- the same output field with the menu (save to temp file, save to vector
file, save to ...) like in processing.
- ...
So I will try to use that and contribute to these wrappers if I can.

By the way, is it possible to recommend on the pyqgis cookbook (or the qgis
documentation) to use the processing framework more often ? A lot of
plugins are useful but we can't use them in batch mode or in complex
workflow. Moreover, they often produce only shapefile.
There are some very nice settings in Processing like "use selected
features", default output format for vector and raster ... I think plugins
should try to more compliant with these settings.