[Qgis-developer] QEP: Dropping fTools/GdalTools in favor of Processing

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 05:09:16 PST 2016

Hi Paolo,

> Thanks Alex! I'd like very much to see this. Just worried about blocking
> analyses and editing commands

Blocking should not be a problem once GSoC work will be merged. Victor
and me already looking on this code. Hope it will be ready before 2.16.
Regarding editing GDAL commands, this is not an easy task. But instead
we can add to all algs additional optional parameter where users can specify
options, not available in the algorithm GUI. What do you think about this?

> Have you already checked the full correspondence between commands, so
> nothing is lost by dropping the old plugin?

Already checked fTools, it can be completely replaced with Processing. Moreover
some fTools algorithms can be replaced with more flexible alternatives,
e.g. Vector Grid and Merge Shapefiles.

GdalTools also seems can be safely replaced, but I may miss some advanced
settings, as I use this plugin only occasionally.

--
Alexander Bruy