[Qgis-developer] QEP: Dropping fTools/GdalTools in favor of Processing

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Jan 27 06:13:20 PST 2016

On 01/27/2016 07:09 AM, Alexander Bruy wrote:
> Hi Paolo,

>> Thanks Alex! I'd like very much to see this. Just worried about blocking
>> analyses and editing commands
>
> Blocking should not be a problem once GSoC work will be merged. Victor
> and me already looking on this code. Hope it will be ready before 2.16.
> Regarding editing GDAL commands, this is not an easy task. But instead
> we can add to all algs additional optional parameter where users can specify
> options, not available in the algorithm GUI. What do you think about this?
>
>> Have you already checked the full correspondence between commands, so
>> nothing is lost by dropping the old plugin?
>
> Already checked fTools, it can be completely replaced with Processing. Moreover
> some fTools algorithms can be replaced with more flexible alternatives,
> e.g. Vector Grid and Merge Shapefiles.
>
> GdalTools also seems can be safely replaced, but I may miss some advanced
> settings, as I use this plugin only occasionally.

The checkboxes in GDALtools is why I use it all the time. I can never
remember the correct syntax and options for a lot of things. It's not
always obvious which GDAL options go with which tools, without having to
scroll through the docs repeatedly. Also the quick options for
compression are a huge timesaver. To me this are must haves if the
Processing tool replaces them. Bonus feature, I often use the gui to
craft GDAL commands that save and use in bash scripts. So I find
gdaltools to be a teaching tool for how to use gdal command line.

I fine with full replacements, but that means full replacement of gui
and features not just features.

Thanks,
Alex M.