[Qgis-developer] QGIS indexing data when editing

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 09:21:12 PST 2016

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 12:12 PM, Vincent Picavet (ml)
<vincent.ml at oslandia.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 30s freeze is something which seems rather unpleasant for the user.
>
> Could we imagine to do the indexing in background ?
>
> And maybe indexing only what is currently in the user's extent, if this
> is not what is currently done ?
>
> Indexing a whole layer for editing seems a no-go. We should maybe have a
> way to get the user to use the indexing tools only when zoomed in ?

Coming back to this old thread - the issue was reported in #12578 -
and it should be fixed now in master. There should not be a long pause
nor high memory usage for big layers anymore - indexing is done on a
reasonably small area (which may be still much larger than your
current extent - so it is not necessary to re-index after every
zoom/pan). Let me know if you still encounter some problems or have
some new problems due to the changes.

Cheers
Martin