[Qgis-developer] morph delimited-text-provider to generic table-provider?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 01:43:05 PDT 2016

On 11 Jul 2016 18:34, "Matthias Kuhn" <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:

> On 07/11/2016 10:10 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
>
> > The virtual layer and Generator stuff I think is gui-wise is harder for
> > beginners than (though crowded) Delimited Text layer dialog.
>
> It's probably easier to fix that with a shortcut / setup wizard... than
> creating the code to loop everything through the delimited text provider.

I still wonder if (in the ideal world) the delimited text provider be
retired and all the extra features it has (wkt, regex, etc) ported over to
OGRs csv reader. Then the provider would become just a user friendly front
end for configuring the OGR data source. Benefits would be less code for us
to maintain + write support, plus other projects could also take advantage
of these features.

Disadvantages? It'd take a bunch of work :p

Nyall