[Qgis-developer] Release naming and path problems

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Mon Jul 18 03:47:23 PDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 11:41:35AM +0100, Jonathan Moules wrote:
> > The second version of the installer now uses the version number in the path.
>
> I'd suggest paths using version numbers is a better idea anyway and should be the default.
> As well as avoiding these sorts of problems, they're also more understandable to users - is "Essen" newer of older than "Brighton"? What version was "Lyon"? I honestly have no idea the answers to any of those questions, but scattered around my machines I have versions of all of those. Version numbers are easy to compare though.

+1, I always struggle with this with Debian
(How to order: Sid, Weezy, Jessie?)

Having a fixed schedule, as QGIS does, it could be even better to
encode the date in the version (like Ubuntu does). Very easy to tell
that 16.04 is newer than 14.04, and you also know it came out in April
2016 (and <even>.04 is always LTR too!).

--strk;