[Qgis-developer] Add feature to QGIS LTR core plugins

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Wed Jul 20 06:09:48 PDT 2016

On 20/07/16 14:26, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
> Not sure we can?  2.14 is bug fix only.  Given it's Python though you
> could just patch their copy.

Same thinking here, in general a release should receive bugfixes, not
features.

In the past we played with shipping updates through the plugin manager
(see processing) but it turned out, that suddenly certain features were
shipped via plugin manager to old installations without required APIs
available. Or core plugin being newer but shadowed by the custom
installed (plugin manager). This road might be possible but would
require proper versioning of core plugins and properly setting min- and
max- version on it (and probably also some logic in the plugin manager
to decide which one to load).

In short: If it cannot be called a bugfix, I'd say just ship it in a
custom repository to your customers and make them aware it needs to be
uninstalled on next QGIS update.

Matthias