[Qgis-developer] Managing a future 2.18 or 3.0 documentation?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Jul 20 14:17:37 PDT 2016

On 20-07-16 09:29, Yves Jacolin wrote:
> Matthias, Harrissou,
>
> On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 9:12:17 Matthias Kuhn wrote:
>> Hi Harrissou
>>
>> On 07/20/2016 08:47 AM, DelazJ wrote:
>> [..]
>>
>>> So questions:
>>> - Will we have a 2.18 (if ever) documentation?
>>
>> I think it would be good to plan 2.18 in general. Triggering the release
>> scripts should be trivial. Since some features end up in 2.18, I guess
>> it will happen.
>> Concerning docs and also pre-release fixing, I wonder if this effort
>> should be spent on the 3.0 migration instead?
>
> So, either we can know which feature is in 2.18 and which in 3.0 and we can
> target the ticket (in the doc repository) in the two milestone and without
> much work, or we can't.
>
> Anyway, as we are "still" working in the 2.16 release,  I guess we can aims to
> release it at the end of the year, not before.
>
> Next, we should focus on 3.0 to get the doc ready for QGIS 3.0, at the
> beginning of 2017.
>
> So +1 for your proposition.
>
>> [..]
>>> - Should the webhook set different milestions according to the branch
>>> used?
>>
>> Yes, master_2 => 2.18, master => 3.0.
> Are you sure? 2.18 milestone doesn't exist in the QGIS doc repository.
>

>> Has there ever been a documentation released for 2.10 and 2.12?
>> If non-LTR get no documentation, there's probably not much point in
>> doing one for 2.18 I think?
>> People can still refer to the "testing" doc from master instead which
>> should match in many points (and where not, some notes can be included).
> Indeed, but this is more a consequence than a cause. In the mid term I prefer
> that we add new feature in the doc in the same time that the ticket is created
> and so get a documentation release for each QGIS release.

We tried in history, but the doc (and doc release-) team could just not
cope with all the releases. So we more or less decided to only build (at
least translated) the docs for LTR versions.

2.16 is non-ltr and 2.18 is a special case.. so I would also be OK to
concentrate on a docs build  for 3.0. So only pick features which will
be ported to 3.0 from 2.16 and 2.18 etcetc

But we can off course try to follow... currently '[FEATURE]' is
automatically labeled as 3.0 milestone...
IF we want to distinguish between those, we either have to fix the script:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Sysadmin/blob/master/webhooks/github_feature_tracker.cgi
Or do it by hand...

Regards,

Richard