[Qgis-developer] OSX/OpenSSL SSL handshake error

Bruce Crevensten becrevensten at alaska.edu
Thu Jul 21 10:50:04 PDT 2016

Hi, I'm running OS X 10.11.5, QGis 2.14.2-Essen (binary from KyngChaos).
I'm trying to connect to this WMS service:

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/wms/viirs/?VERSION=1.1.1&

I receive a message, "Failed to download capabilities: Download of
capabilities failed: SSL handshake failed."

To troubleshoot, I tried using the system openssl command like this:

/usr/bin/openssl s_client -connect firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov:443
CONNECTED(00000003)
44549:error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert
handshake
failure:/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/OpenSSL098/OpenSSL098-59.40.2/src/ssl/s23_clnt.c:593:

The system version of OpenSSL is OpenSSL 0.9.8zh 14 Jan 2016.

After installing a newer OpenSSL via brew, I could run the same s_client
command and the connection worked, so it appears that QGis is linked
against the system libraries and is unable to communicate with a server
with SSLv3 disabled.

Is there a remedy for this?  Can I provide additional information for
debugging?

Sincerely,
- Bruce

--
*Bruce Crevensten*

*Senior Software Engineer*
(SNAP) Scenarios Network for Alaska & Arctic Planning
www.snap.uaf.edu