[Qgis-developer] QGis.QGIS_VERSION_INT not defined for master: breaks plugins

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Jul 29 10:39:43 PDT 2016

Hi,

This commit
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commit/1a2231f10c65c2bef992e02046baebf3bc4975f6

in master renames 'QGis' to 'Qgis', bringing more consistency in
capitalization, which is good \o/

But it breaks some Python plugins,  which (often to be backwards
compatible) check for: "QGis.QGIS_VERSION_INT". These now all throw
exceptions that QGis is not available.

Some notable plugins:

plugin_reloader, some of mine, timemanager, qconsolidate, but a lot more...

Off course the plugins should be fixed (because of this and other api
breaks), but I still wonder how to proceed:
- try to make (my) plugins work for both (some 'import QGis as Qgis'
within a try clause.
- not update 2.x versions anymore, and focus on 3.0

Easiest for me/other plugin devs is the second option, BUT we need a
clear path then for the two different ('latest') versions which should
be available then at plugins.qgis.org
Not sure if plugins-site can handle this already (Alessandro?)?

Or is there another alternative, or plan?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde