[Qgis-developer] (Yet again) SAGA support badly broken in QGIS

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 02:57:31 PDT 2016

I am familiar with SAGA source code, and algorithms are independent
and self contained, very modular structure, so it should be easy to
use them. There is a lot of work in there, since the number of
algorithms is very large, but it can be a progressive thing. Having
the in the QGIS source code would be fantastic.

If we decide to go in this direction, we can maybe get rid of the SAGA
provider in core, and have it as a separate plugin (and maybe a ship
SAGA itself with the plugin??), for those wanting to run SAGA itself.
In core we would add native Processing algorithms that would use the
QGIS native functionality that we clone from SAGA. There is no need to
port everything, at first just the most common ones or those that have
no equivalent in other providers. Better a reduced set of robust and
commonly used algs than a large colelction of them that is not so
stable as it should.

Not sure how we can tackle this, but definitely it is an option to
consider. It would solve all issues with format conversions, etc... so
it's clearly worth a try.

My 2 cents

Cheerss