[Qgis-developer] Layer Name and originalName, was: [QGIS-Server] Add a Short Name to layers for OGC Web Services

Germán Carrillo carrillo.german at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 08:31:40 PDT 2016

Hi All,

what is the purpose of originalName() method in QgsMapLayer class?

Documentation states:
   Get the original name of the layer.
   Returns
           the original layer name

Which perhaps isn't clear enough.

Plugin developers reading the API would generally expect originalName to
preserve the name the layer was given when it was first loaded into QGIS.
And it might be so, except for this line (
http://qgis.org/api/2.14/qgsmaplayer_8cpp_source.html#l00117) that modifies
the originalName private variable.

Am I getting it wrong? Is id() supposed to fulfill such requirement?

Regards,

Germán

> Le 22/09/2015 13:36, Paolo Cavallini a écrit :
>
>> Il 22/09/2015 13:24, Tom Chadwin ha scritto:
>>
>>> Many apologies - you are right. I change "Layer name", and couldn't
>>> understand what Display as was meant to be: a non-editable text field
>>> which
>>> mirrors Layer name? Why?
>>>
>> agreed, an old issue, I also do not understant its use.
>> all the best.
>>

> It's not an issue :-)
>
> In QgsMapLayer there are originalName and name.
> The method setLayerName sets originalName and name.
> The attribute name is the capitalize originalName if the settings
> "/qgis/capitaliseLayerName" is set to True.
>
> In the Layer properties the originalName and Name are displayed and the
> originalName is the editable attribute.
>
> René-Luc

   |\__
(:>__)(