[Qgis-developer] QGIS on Mac with Qt5, PyQt5 and Py3

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Fri Jun 3 16:17:02 PDT 2016

Hi Nyall,

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 10:58 PM, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 4 Jun 2016 6:52 AM, "Larry Shaffer" <larrys at dakotacarto.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just a quick note... Continuing work I started at the hackfest in
> Girona, I have successfully built and run QGIS on Mac off of Homebrew
> dependencies of pyqt, sip, qwt, qwtpolar, qscintilla2 and qca specifically
> configured for Qt 5 and Python 3.
> >
> > http://drive.dakotacarto.com/qgis/qgis-qt5-pyqt5-py3.png
> >
> > This means I am now capable of running installs of qgis2-ltr, qgis2 and
> qgis3 (when branched) off of the *same* /usr/local install of Homebrew.
> This also means, after some further work, we will be able to upgrade the
> Mac Travis CI setup for testing both Qt4/PyQt4/Py2 and Qt5/PyQt5/Py3, as is
> currently available for Linux.
> >
> > While it is possible to do this using multiple isolated Homebrew
> installs, that requires almost all dependencies in the non-/usr/local
> directory to be compiled, instead of using the prebuilt binaries (aka
> 'bottles') available from Homebrew.
> >
> > Fully bundled test apps are at least a month away.
> >
> > I have a PR and more Homebrew editing to do (will post more to this
> thread later), but just wanted everyone to know it is at least compiling
> and launching on Mac!
>
> That's great news Larry - nice work!
>
> I'm curious: how does the test suite look on these qt5 Mac builds? What's
> failing?

See:
http://dash.orfeo-toolbox.org/buildSummary.php?buildid=231771

Not entirely sure I have the test environ set up correctly, but
  79% tests passed, 48 tests failed out of 231
isn't so bad as a starting point (I think...).

The following timed out:
PyQgsComposerHtml Failed  25m 30ms Completed (Timeout)

Most render test comparisons are close, excepting

qgis_composerlabeltest
http://dash.orfeo-toolbox.org/testDetails.php?test=41851057&build=231771
qgis_gradienttest
http://dash.orfeo-toolbox.org/testDetails.php?test=41851093&build=231771
qgis_composerpicturetest
http://dash.orfeo-toolbox.org/testDetails.php?test=41851065&build=231771

Also, about 50% of the Python test errors might be remedied with updating
to Py3 or some trivial module finding fixes.

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota