[Qgis-developer] QGIS/Linux on high-resolution displays

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 22:24:13 PDT 2016

> Ive just bought a Dell XPS13 which came with Ubuntu 14.04
> pre-installed. The screen is 3200 pixels across. Getting applications
> to scale properly is a nightmare.
>
> QGIS (and I guess all Qt apps) seems to be the worst. The icons are
> microscopic, and the text and other interface elements overlap. It is
> unusable. Same for Gimp and Inkscape, but I mostly use QGIS.

QGIS works pretty well (with some minor glitches) in KDE on 4K and retina
screens, see the tips and the links in this article
http://www.itopen.it/qgis-and-qt-getting-ready-for-hidpi-screens/

> I've tried a couple of things: "xrandr --scale" ends up with very slow
> performance and poor graphics quality; the scaling slider in the
> display settings seems only to work with gnome apps.
>
> Any other suggestions? Can I get QGIS to use larger icons? Do I really
> have to wait until QGIS adopts Qt 5.6 which, says the internet, has
> proper support for high resolution displays? Or do I have to run my
> screen at lower resolution?

No, try setting:
- the dpi resolution in the display configuration of your OS (system
settings), that is usually a wrapper for xrandr
- for QT5, the env vars  QT_DEVICE_PIXEL_RATIO=2 and/or
QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS=2
- icon size in QGIS can be (at least in part, for the toolbar) configured
in the QGIS options dialog

See also: http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/highdpi.html

> Barry

Alessandro Pasotti