[Qgis-developer] Report 2 - QGIS Symbology Sharing Tools

Akbar Gumbira akbargumbira at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 15:14:25 PDT 2016

Hi Ale,

I just tried Dulwich. There are three ways that I see to checkout a single
file: git sparse checkout, git archive, or shallow clone (still cloning all
files though).

With git sparse checkout, Dulwich does not provide the porcelain-level API.
The author says that it's possible though (
https://github.com/jelmer/dulwich/issues/405#issuecomment-224579678). I am
not sure how much work to implement it dealing with the git object, tree,
and blob itself at the plumbing level.

With git archive, unfortunately Github doesn't allow us to do this (
https://twitter.com/GitHubHelp/status/322818593748303873). WIth shallow
clone left, I feel that I would over-engineer it forcing to use git just to
be able to do this. I think it's more simple if for now we use the raw
endpoint for each hosts that we know (Github, Bitbucket, etc), and we add
more supported hosts as users put the collection in other hosts as long as
we know the URL to the raw metadata file.

What do you think?

Cheers