[Qgis-developer] Usability of searches

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr
Thu Mar 10 05:36:42 PST 2016

Hi Paolo,
 very interesting topic.
IMHO, a good generic place or feature finder could be a native plugin or
native feature.

Just to share some ideas, please find here a video demonstration of our
internal place finder. 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ1uCb6DxrA
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ1uCb6DxrA>

The plugin is a close cousin of Nominatim search place plugin, but we
plugged it on internal postgis database, and we enable full text search so
that it can search in different tables at a time (ie, hydrography entry
looks for lakes, or rivers, or underground waters.. )

what does it do?:

 - Sends a sql query to postgis that returns a set of objects with ID,
source table, geometry
- Displays results in the list with ordering by pertinence (can be raw fts
or a mix with geographical size. An administrative region will be shown
before a very small place name)
- on mouse hover, we display a rubberband so that user can see where is the
result
- on double click, zoom to the place
- an option allows to filter result falling in map extent only
- output options can produe different memory layers (a layer with the
object, a layer calling mask plugin to highlight that place only)

One could imagine having an internal sqlite db with full text search
enabled, and a config panel to collect layer objects and fields to index,
push it into sqlite DB, and then activat a similar search panel)

We can share source code (but it requires some code tweaking to plug it on
another database)

my two cents.

Régis