[Qgis-developer] QGIS PDF export options

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Sat Mar 19 02:46:55 PDT 2016

On 18 March 2016 at 15:31, johnrobot <johnrobot at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I would like to see a few options when exporting a layout to PDF:
>
> - PDF version, such as archive PDF/A-1a
> - Support for layers/geospatial PDF as discussed in
> https://hub.qgis.org/issues/9362
> - Resolution, compression
> - Password protection
> - Disable printing
> - Enable/disable content copy
> - Fit window, fit visible etc.
>
> Any thoughts? Should I open a ticket for each one of the above or a general
> ticket?

I assume you mean exporting a layout from the composer to PDF? In that
case QGIS uses the Qt's built-in print-to-PDF support, and as the
sometimes/former maintainer of print support in Qt5 I know that none
of those options (except resolution) are supported in Qt so QGIS is
unable to provide them. All those features would be very welcome
contributions to Qt 5 though, it's just we lack someone with the PDF
standard knowledge and time to do so. If anyone here has those skills
I'd be happy to help guide them through the process (or be paid to
find the time myself!).

Rather than raise tickets on QGIS, you'll need to check if Qt already
has tickets open (I think most do, see bugreports.qt.io) and if not
raise them yourself, then perhaps open a single QGIS ticket pointing
to the upstream issues so they can be tracked?

John.