[Qgis-developer] Fields and forms redesign: - was Re: Preparing the Changelog for 2.18

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Oct 5 22:37:22 PDT 2016

Hi Nyall,

> Ok cool. I've been thinking (based on the recent discussion re table
> manager plugin) that this existing rename field ability is quite
> hidden from users and could do with a better UI. Maybe it's time for
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/37 ...
> Nyall

I agree that it would be useful to implement a better UI for the whole
fields/widget/form management. It has been on the table for the past 2-3
years, but was never on the top of the list. It could be one topic for
the 2017 QGIS grants proposals or for the QGIS-CH sponsoring projects.
So far, our (QGIS.ORG/QGIS-CH) financial resources for 2016 are
exhausted. Of course, if someone wants to work on this on his free time
or finds another sponsor, it would be very nice if this could make it
into QGIS 3.x rather sooner than later.

However, I wonder if the management of the drag and drop designer,
couldn't be more WYSIWYG. Other GIS software (like Autocad
Topobase/Map3d Infrastructure suite (or whatever it is called these
days)) can also do this. Can't we embed a form preview and have a better
"live" preview of our configuration (e.g. of tabs, groups, widgets,
labels, etc. Currently it is a bit like "working in the dark".

Greetings,
Andreas