[Qgis-developer] About project.qgs file versions

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 06:09:58 PDT 2016

On 25-10-16 13:56, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> Hi
>
>> Oh yes, it's true !    You are right.   I tested.     :(
>>
>> So I am asking: what is the reason why we did this  ?
>>
>> What you call "feature" is a problem for all those who need to share
>> data with users who have an older version of QGIS, for one reason or
>> another.
>>
>> I am wrong ?   What do you think ?
>>
>> Regards
>> Geo
>>
> Nothing has been explicitly done to prevent it.
>
> The "feature" is a warning which you can interpret as "It might or might
> not work in your scenario. Before you rely on backporting projects in
> production scenarios, test it carefully.".
> Or test one version and stick to that within a project which is the
> safest choice.
>
> Changing this behavior would be a considerable additional amount of work
> and slow down development of new features (and there would still be no
> guarantee).
To state it perhaps more explicitly, this is not a 'feature'. It is a
'consequence' of the development or improvements of features in QGIS.
This is basically a choice that has between made to avoid spending too
much time on making project (.qgs) files back-ward compatible, as
explained by Matthias. This may indeed be a problem for users (it has
been for me in the past). But QGIS does provide a clear warning that
your project files may not be backward compatible, to help users to run
into problems later. It would have been nice to have some form of
backward compatibility, but I understand why this may not be feasible,
and I am happy I am being warned in advance.