[Qgis-developer] plugin for QGIS3 test

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 15:15:20 PDT 2016

On 1 November 2016 at 07:37, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:
> Hi (plugin-) devs,
>
> after upgrading my QGIS 2.18 plugin, I thought to try what I had to do
> to make it a QGIS3 version.
>
> - running scripts/2to3 on the plugin
> - tweaking and fixing untill it worked :-)
>
> it was more work then I hoped, but after setting
>
> qgisMinimumVersion=2.99
> qgisMaximumVersion=3.0
>
> it 'just works' even without my PR [1] which make the list in the plugin
> manager shorter:
> https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/plugins.xml?qgis=2.99
> vs
> https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/plugins.xml?qgis=3.0
>
> I observe also that having two version of the same plugin works: the old
> 0.12 version is visible in 2.18
> The new 3.0 version is visible in 3.0
> And I could download/install both in both versions.
>
> Anyway: I think good news to share :-)
>
> NOTE: we should be aware that 3.0 api is still not fixed, so creating a
> 3.0 version is not guaranteed to work with the final 3.0 versions

This is great news!

Given that you're probably the first to go through this process, I'm
very keen to hear any further feedback you have on the porting
process. What did you find hardest? Is the available api break
documentation useful? Could we make it better? Do you have any
suggestions on how we can make this process easier for plugin
developers?

I'd also like to echo your disclaimer that it's premature for general
plugin developers to start porting their plugins yet (unless they
enjoy redoing changes!). There's still many more changes planned
before 3.0 is finalised.

Nyall