[Qgis-developer] About Processing documentation

Ricardo Garcia Silva ricardo.garcia.silva at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 04:27:19 PDT 2016

In my opinion some documentation on how to write Processing plugins is
needed.

Victor mentioned in the previous thread that there is already some
documentation on the QGIS user guide that is useful for developing plugins
(which I assume to be this[1]). The mentioned docs  are helpful for writing
Python scripts. While indeed being very useful, I think that they cater to
a different use case. It seems to me that this is more of an 'advanced
user' type of feature than a 'developer' one. With this in mind, it makes
sense to me that these docs are currently in the user guide.

What I think is lacking is some documentation on how to write a proper
plugin that can be distributed via plugin manager. Some stuff that seems
relevant and lacking:

* Describing the overall architecture of the Processing framework. Perhaps
a brief description of the main classes or some high level diagram. Also
some API docs, akin to the QGIS C++ API, perhaps with one or two examples,
where appropriate;

* How to organize things in the toolbox and how do the concepts of the
algorithm provider and the grouping of algs in the toolbox are related;

* How to use the AlgorithmProvider, GeoAlgorithm, Parameter and Output
classes;

* How to work with the settings panel, logging facilities, progress
indicators and other extra goodies that Processing already has;

* Throw in an example of how to expose a regular python plugin (I mean one
that manages its own GUI) through Processing in there as well, in order to
help refactoring the current plugins that could benefit from tighter
integration with the rest of QGIS.

I'm also available for helping out with this, if necessary/needed.

Best regards

[1] - http://docs.qgis.org/2.14/en/docs/user_manual/processing/scripts.html

--
Enviado do Dekko através do meu dispositivo Ubuntu.