[Qgis-developer] Plans for QGIS 3.0 and QWebView.... *sigh*

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 00:48:52 PDT 2016

On 14 September 2016 at 17:37, Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On 09/14/2016 09:23 AM, Matthias Kuhn wrote:

>>> For Qt5 it's no problem, that's still supported upstream.
>>>
>>> I thought you meant like the embedded copy of python-qt4.

>>> It would be great if QGIS were to support changes in its dependencies
>>> sooner, and not wait until they are (near) EOL. I guess the incentive
>>> isn't there when there is no funding for it.
>>
>> I've started working on Qt5 transitions without any funding way more
>> than a year ago.
>
> Yes, and props to your for that. If only you had more helping hands
> longer before Qt4 went EOL.
>
> Qt4 went EOL in December 2014 and was eventually extended to December
> 2015, the work on Qt5 support in QGIS was still very late in the Qt4
> lifetime.
>
> Work on Qt5 support should have started when Qt 5.0.0 was released and
> planned to be ready when Qt4 originally went EOL. That's what I expected
> for such an essential component of QGIS, and what made me so
> disappointed about how the Qt4/Qt5 situation was actually handled.

By the way Bas - If I'm coming across as annoyed it's because I am.

But it's not at you or our distro partners! I'm annoyed at Qt upstream
for both the web view situation and for the predicament that
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-47192 has put us in (a broken
application on Qt 5.5 and 5.6 which we can't work around).

I totally realise that you're also a volunteer and put in difficult
situations because of the choices we as upstream make. Thanks for all
the hours you've put into supporting this project behind the scenes.
It's VERY much appreciated.

Nyall