<div dir="ltr"><div><div><div><div><div>I'm joining this discussion late, but I wanted to give the viewpoint of a developer that has tried contributing in the past and has currently failed to do so.<br><br></div>Going back to Nyall's original points, I can respect #1, but the phrasing of it (and the further stiffening that Even suggested) will make the initial contribution process very hard.<br></div>I am not a C++ developer by training, but when I wanted to make my first contribution I used an LLM to look for the right places to make it, explain what is being done and suggest the edits. <br>While my PR was not accepted (because of my inability to find the time to understand, change the code as suggested by the reviewer and get those changes to actually build and work as planned), I don't believe I could have even opened the PR or understood the code without the help of an LLM.<br></div>I believe that limiting new (and\or existing) contributors to using an LLM for searching the code, the web and as an autocomplete, should still be an acceptable compromise for this.<br><br></div>As for #2, I think a financial contribution as a condition can also be too harsh for some developers who cannot afford it.<br></div>Maybe a face-to-face (virtual or physical) with a trusted contributor to one of the QGIS repositories would be an easier alternative for those who can't afford the financial contribution.<div><br></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Wed, 16 Sept 2026 at 15:19, Laurențiu Nicola via QGIS-Developer <<a href="mailto:qgis-developer@lists.osgeo.org">qgis-developer@lists.osgeo.org</a>> wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">I think contributors using AI are of two kinds:<br>
<br>
  - well-intentioned users who run into a bug and use an LLM to fix it<br>
  - people who instruct their agents "go look on GitHub for some easy bugs and fix them"<br>
<br>
You want to get rid of both, but the former will manage to file a PR on Codeberg just as well — they've been bothered by that bug for a long time, their shiny tool managed to fix it, and it's only natural to share it upstream.<br>
<br>
As for the second category, they're trawling through GitHub because GitHub is so massively popular. Imagine a world where <a href="http://gitlab.com" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">gitlab.com</a> would be a nice alternative to GitHub instead of a bloated mess with even more AI features. They could just say "go file some PRs on GitHub or GitLab" and all would be well. If Codeberg had a 25% market share, they would certainly include it. And if some project asked you to use git-send-email, the agent would be perfectly able to do so (it would probably keep me away, so not all is lost).<br>
<br>
Of course, that would dilute their "profile page", but hey, I can vibe-code a cross-forge profile page in an afternoon, wouldn't that be pretty cool? :-)<br>
<br>
Laurentiu<br>
<br>
On Wed, Sep 16, 2026, at 14:58, Greg Troxel via QGIS-Developer wrote:<br>
> Laurențiu Nicola via QGIS-Developer <<a href="mailto:qgis-developer@lists.osgeo.org" target="_blank">qgis-developer@lists.osgeo.org</a>><br>
> writes:<br>
><br>
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2026, at 14:31, Greg Troxel via QGIS-Developer wrote:<br>
>><br>
>>>   It's interesting that what I'm guessing is large numbers of<br>
>>>   LLM-generated PRs and/or LLM text in issues is at least mostly in<br>
>>>   github.  If so, that is a clue that perhaps github itself is a problem<br>
>><br>
>> If I may: <a href="https://xkcd.com/1138/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://xkcd.com/1138/</a><br>
><br>
> While that's funny (and everyone who confuses correlation and causation<br>
> eventually dies), I think there's something to the "github problematic"<br>
> theory.<br>
><br>
> Tradtionally, projects were centered on mailinglists.  That built<br>
> commmunity.  With github, people show up and file and issue or PR and<br>
> don't really join.  github computes scores/profiles and pushes<br>
> themselves as something that matters, and they push AI.  A project on<br>
> github that doesn't want AI, and doesn't want to suffer from people<br>
> collecting gamified points, is swimming upstream.<br>
><br>
> I'm involved in another (very small) project that is list centered, and<br>
> now has repos on codeberg.  But, propsoed changes are "git send-email"<br>
> to the list, not PR/MR.   I have not noticed any LLM intrusions.<br>
> _______________________________________________<br>
> QGIS-Developer mailing list<br>
> <a href="mailto:QGIS-Developer@lists.osgeo.org" target="_blank">QGIS-Developer@lists.osgeo.org</a><br>
> List info: <a href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer</a><br>
> Unsubscribe: <a href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer</a><br>
_______________________________________________<br>
QGIS-Developer mailing list<br>
<a href="mailto:QGIS-Developer@lists.osgeo.org" target="_blank">QGIS-Developer@lists.osgeo.org</a><br>
List info: <a href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer</a><br>
Unsubscribe: <a href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer</a><br>
</blockquote></div>