<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>I think, and I'm just an observer watching this all play out with
      all the angles and ramifications:</p>
    <p>It's not that you actually need AI for Qgis, or any software.</p>
    <p>It's that people out there who aren't any kind of coder suddenly
      believe they can become one overnight by using AI to generate the
      code for them, and the term "vibe coding", if you look it up,
      implies much of this code is of poor quality.</p>
    <p>The issue in general of using AI to generate anything is such a
      vast can of worms that the discussion at the level of just one
      open source project like this one is being repeated all over the
      internet at the moment.</p>
    <p>Even for someone like me who has programming experience in
      several languages, the leap of skill and experience that it would
      take to contribute at that level to any project such as this one
      would be a massive step up from where I am now, which is writing
      Pyqgis scripts to do nice and really useful things in the console
      editor for various map projects I author. (A very useful
      capability BTW, which has saved me countless hours in automating
      some quite complex and/or repetitive tasks but that's another
      story). It's not just coding experience and innate knowledge of
      the software, API and object models that are required, but also
      innate knowledge of what GISes do and how they work, from people
      who I presume have major GIS industry experience. (For which they
      rightly have earned a great deal of respect in this community)</p>
    <p>The AI coding debate is just a microcosm of the whole AI issue
      across society and I'm not going to say any more, I'll leave that
      one to the reader to consider.</p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 22/09/2026 03:22, David Signer via
      QGIS-Developer wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:CAETFtHnxBVwKtYCLeX5AD=xdY9+9HBmpz=pVQhHZ15nDgLbTvA@mail.gmail.com">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="auto">
        <div dir="ltr">
          <div>Hi everyone </div>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <div>I think #1 to get time until we have a good solution for
            #2 won't hurt. The QGIS project worked well before AI. I
            kind of miss the big argument for why we need to use AI for
            QGIS immediately. I am not against using new technology, but
            I think we risk nothing by proceeding with a careful
            deliberation. <span style="background-color:transparent">Regarding
              #2 I am not a big fan of validating a new contributor's
              credibility through financial donations, but with #1 we
              would have time to find a good solution there.</span></div>
          <div><span style="background-color:transparent"><br>
            </span></div>
          <div>Thanks and cheers</div>
          <div>Dave</div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <div dir="ltr"><br>
      </div>
      <br>
      <div class="gmail_quote">
        <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Sat, Sep 19, 2026 at
          8:28 PM Célia Buira via QGIS-Developer <<a
            href="mailto:qgis-developer@lists.osgeo.org" target="_blank"
            rel="noreferrer" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">qgis-developer@lists.osgeo.org</a>>
          wrote:<br>
        </div>
        <blockquote class="gmail_quote"
style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
          <div dir="auto">What about implementing #2 proof of life
            first, see the effect of this new policy on the github
            tracker, and only then implementing #1 if it's still needed
            ?
            <div dir="auto"><br>
              <br>
              About #2 I like the idea of the proof of life however
              requiring a financial contribution is rubbing me the wrong
              way. Contributing efficiently to the code of QGIS already
              required access to multiple thousands of dollars hardware,
              often you come to qgis after higher degrees of education
              which also adds inequality barriers. (I remember when I
              started to contribute to qgis it would take a whole night
              to do a clean build of qgis on my laptop at the time)
              <div dir="auto">
                <div dir="auto"><br>
                </div>
                <div dir="auto">I think we should go for something
                  simpler as in require new contributor to screencast
                  the end result of their PR and made them open the help
                  > about this way we can also check they compiled
                  with the last Sha commit of the PR.</div>
                <div dir="auto"><br>
                </div>
                <div dir="auto"><br>
                </div>
                <div dir="auto">And for #1 My position is very much
                  `wait and see`, I think it's too early to tell where
                  the balance between social benefits and social costs
                  of these tools will land in the end. And it would be
                  too bad to remove a tool that could genuinely be
                  useful in the future. In the last discussion Stefanos
                  mentioned to allow contributor to use LLM once a
                  certain threshold of PR is reached I think we should
                  explore this too before straight up ban LLM</div>
                <div dir="auto"><br>
                </div>
                <div dir="auto"><br>
                </div>
                <div dir="auto">And overall it sadden me that we
                  collectively spent 3 decades writing free software,
                  free tutorials etc... Effectively creating commons.
                  And LLM companies took that from us, and make us pay
                  twice. A first time at individual level to access this
                  technology, and a second time by putting pressure on
                  people and infrastructure. </div>
                <div dir="auto"><br>
                </div>
                <div dir="auto">I would like to float another ideas
                  around even if it would be hard to enforce in
                  practice.</div>
                <div dir="auto">*Force AI companies to give back*.</div>
                <div dir="auto">Want to use Claude code? Sure but
                  anthropic have to become a sustaining member of
                  QGIS.org first </div>
                <div dir="auto">Want to use codex, gemini? Then openAi
                  and Google have to contribute to the project
                  financially and I'm talking geniully multiple
                  thousands dollars contributions. </div>
                <div dir="auto"><br>
                </div>
                <div dir="auto"><br>
                </div>
                <div dir="auto">In other words we should enter
                  collective bargaining between open source communities
                  and AI companies with in mind the "polluter pays
                  principle"</div>
                <div dir="auto"><br>
                </div>
                <div dir="auto">Cheers,</div>
                <div dir="auto">Célia</div>
              </div>
            </div>
          </div>
          <br>
          <br>
          Le mer. 16 sept. 2026 à 05:44, Nyall Dawson via QGIS-Developer
          <<a href="mailto:qgis-developer@lists.osgeo.org"
rel="noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer"
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">qgis-developer@lists.osgeo.org</a>>
          a écrit :<br>
          ><br>
          > Hi list,<br>
          ><br>
          > It's quite clear that there's considerable hurt and
          disappointment<br>
          > within the QGIS developer community right now, and for
          very<br>
          > understandable reasons.<br>
          ><br>
          > I've been giving this a lot of thought over the last few
          days, and<br>
          > would like to propose two actions we could take that I
          think would<br>
          > make a positive difference to our community.<br>
          ><br>
          > #1. Place an immediate, total moratorium on all forms of
          LLM based<br>
          > contributions.<br>
          ><br>
          > We've tried gentle policies regarding this up till now,
          but clearly<br>
          > that's not helping. So I would like to propose a complete
          and total<br>
          > moratorium on any form of contribution assisted in any
          way (beyond as<br>
          > a replacement for a simple web search*).<br>
          ><br>
          > I think we should introduce a firm policy ASAP as a step
          toward<br>
          > repairing our community, and only after this could we
          start<br>
          > discussions about what form of LLM contribution may be
          acceptable.<br>
          ><br>
          > I.e. RIGHT NOW we default to a safe "NO AI" policy, and
          potentially<br>
          > later loosen this, rather than having a loose policy
          right now that<br>
          > maybe we'll correct in future.<br>
          ><br>
          > #2. Require a "proof of life" from all new contributors<br>
          ><br>
          > The above policy only really applies to existing
          contributors who we<br>
          > know and trust. Any policy we introduce will just be
          totally ignored<br>
          > or lied about by bots or karma farming AI sloppers. I've
          been<br>
          > wondering how to handle this. I've been thinking some
          form of "proof<br>
          > that you are a human and who you actually are" could be
          required, as<br>
          > some kind of document submitted to PSC for private/secure
          storage. But<br>
          > realistically, that's impossible in 2026, as any form of
          ID document<br>
          > could be forged in a few seconds, and it's clearly not
          possible for<br>
          > QGIS.org to police.<br>
          ><br>
          > So I'd propose that new contributors must FIRST make a
          financial<br>
          > donation to the QGIS project, before any contributions
          from that<br>
          > person are accepted in any form. This could be a small
          amount, just<br>
          > enough to deter the karma farmers who don't actually care
          about the<br>
          > project and what they're contributing. And any amount
          would be<br>
          > sufficient to block the bots.<br>
          ><br>
          > (Another solution could be to require a face-to-face, in
          person<br>
          > meeting with a contributor before they can submit
          changes)<br>
          ><br>
          > What do you all think? I believe we need to act
          immediately on #1. (I<br>
          > realise #2 may be more tricky and/or controversial)<br>
          ><br>
          > Nyall<br>
          ><br>
          ><br>
          ><br>
          > * because the web is broken in 2026. "simple" web
          searches don't work anymore.<br>
          > _______________________________________________<br>
          > QGIS-Developer mailing list<br>
          > <a href="mailto:QGIS-Developer@lists.osgeo.org"
rel="noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer"
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">QGIS-Developer@lists.osgeo.org</a><br>
          > List info: <a
href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer"
rel="noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer"
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer</a><br>
          > Unsubscribe: <a
href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer"
rel="noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer"
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer</a><br>
          _______________________________________________<br>
          QGIS-Developer mailing list<br>
          <a href="mailto:QGIS-Developer@lists.osgeo.org"
            target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">QGIS-Developer@lists.osgeo.org</a><br>
          List info: <a
href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer"
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer</a><br>
          Unsubscribe: <a
href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer"
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer</a><br>
        </blockquote>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre wrap="" class="moz-quote-pre">_______________________________________________
QGIS-Developer mailing list
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:QGIS-Developer@lists.osgeo.org">QGIS-Developer@lists.osgeo.org</a>
List info: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer</a>
Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>