<div dir="ltr">What I don't understand is why "except Exception: pass" is even an issue. Why would it be a critical error? I grew up in the old days of Python programming so I am sure programmers of today are better at proper programming, but I used that technique for a purpose and in many cases is not an error.<div><br></div><div>The other issue is, I'm retired and I don't have a GIS project. I have tried to do some minimal maintenance, but I have no real reason to continue supporting the plugins so when the QGIS checks require that I make some big changes, I am not sure I am willing to put in the time.</div><div><br></div><div>I wouldn't mind if someone would like to take ownership of some of my plugins (<a href="https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/author/Calvin%20Hamilton/">https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/author/Calvin%20Hamilton/</a>) if they think they are worthwhile. If I had a fun archaeology or some other GIS project, it would help keep interest in QGIS. I imagine that I will use QGIS from time to time, but I am currently doing other things.</div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Thu, Sep 17, 2026 at 2:18 AM Richard Duivenvoorde <<a href="mailto:rdmailings@duif.net">rdmailings@duif.net</a>> wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">I see you use de logging module in some of your code. You could at least add a logging statement stating "deliberatly 'pass'ing an exception" or so?<br>
<br>
(Honestly, having this helped me find an issue some time ago in a plugin...)<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Richard Duivenvoorde<br>
<br>
On 9/16/26 19:07, C Hamilton via QGIS-Developer wrote:<br>
> <br>
> This is with the Lat Lon Tools plugin. This rule prevented me from publishing an updated version. The plugin has been in use since QGIS 2 and it doesn't download and run anything.<br>
> <br>
> Thanks,<br>
> Calvin<br>
> <br>
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2026 at 12:54 PM Laurențiu Nicola via QGIS-Developer <<a href="mailto:qgis-developer@lists.osgeo.org" target="_blank">qgis-developer@lists.osgeo.org</a> <mailto:<a href="mailto:qgis-developer@lists.osgeo.org" target="_blank">qgis-developer@lists.osgeo.org</a>>> wrote:<br>
> <br>
>     __<br>
>     +1. I don't think it should be up to QGIS to enforce style rules. Does it warn if a plugin downloads some code over plain HTTP and runs it? That's something I would care about, as a user. I don't care about code style, I'll just assume it's awful, vibe-coded (based on recent plugin submissions I've looked at), or both.<br>
> <br>
>     Laurentiu<br>
> <br>
>     On Wed, Sep 16, 2026, at 19:48, C Hamilton via QGIS-Developer wrote:<br>
>>     Your security scans are causing me problems. Why can't I do the following?<br>
>>                 try...<br>
>>                 except Exception:<br>
>>                     pass<br>
>><br>
>>     In the try statement, if it fails I don't want it to do anything in the exception. This is exactly what I want to happen, but your security scans call it a "Critical Error". What should I do instead? I don't need any code in the exception.<br>
>><br>
>>     Thanks,<br>
>><br>
>>     Calvin<br>
>>     _______________________________________________<br>
>>     QGIS-Developer mailing list<br>
>>     <a href="mailto:QGIS-Developer@lists.osgeo.org" target="_blank">QGIS-Developer@lists.osgeo.org</a> <mailto:<a href="mailto:QGIS-Developer@lists.osgeo.org" target="_blank">QGIS-Developer@lists.osgeo.org</a>><br>
>>     List info: <a href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer</a> <<a href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer</a>><br>
>>     Unsubscribe: <a href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer</a> <<a href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer</a>><br>
>><br>
>     _______________________________________________<br>
>     QGIS-Developer mailing list<br>
>     <a href="mailto:QGIS-Developer@lists.osgeo.org" target="_blank">QGIS-Developer@lists.osgeo.org</a> <mailto:<a href="mailto:QGIS-Developer@lists.osgeo.org" target="_blank">QGIS-Developer@lists.osgeo.org</a>><br>
>     List info: <a href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer</a> <<a href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer</a>><br>
>     Unsubscribe: <a href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer</a> <<a href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer</a>><br>
> <br>
> <br>
> _______________________________________________<br>
> QGIS-Developer mailing list<br>
> <a href="mailto:QGIS-Developer@lists.osgeo.org" target="_blank">QGIS-Developer@lists.osgeo.org</a><br>
> List info: <a href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer</a><br>
> Unsubscribe: <a href="https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>