[Qgis-edu] platform for examination

Christopher R. Gabriel cgabriel at truelite.it
Tue Jan 18 18:01:16 EST 2011

Hi everybody!

On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 22:39 +0100, Robert Szczepanek wrote:
> > I think a partnership could be useful to lower the burden of setting up
> > a proper infrastructure for certification.
>
> +1
>
> > I leave to Christopher the chance of pointing us to an overview of the
> > system, if possible with success stories and such.
>
> That would be great.
> I'm not sure if this is directly related to the system we are talking
> about, but I found funny notes in technical requirements for test
> centers [1]:
>
> "Exam Delivery Workstations
>
> Windows XP Professional (32 bit) with Service Pack 2 or later, NTFS file
> system (preferred)
> Windows 2000 Professional
> Supported languages: ENG, RUS, DEU, JPN, KOR, CHS and CHT
>
> Windows Vista and 64 bit versions of Windows not currently supported
>
> Internet Explorer 6.0 SP 2"

This are actually the requirements that VUE, a certification company,
ask to tests center. VUE sells any kind of certification, from LPI
(Linux Professional Institute) to Microsoft, Oracle and such.

Our platform is fully free software, and, as Paolo said, we're using to
let our LPI certification students to study and verify their progress.
LPI itself seels its certification through VUE, but it's a different
thing :)

Our platform is suitable for test centers as well as a studying
platform, where students can use their available tests to be sure
they're prepared for the exam they are studying for.

This is why Paolo suggested the usage of our platform: it's ready, can
be used for exams as well as for teaching pourposes, and it's also ready
for e-commerce stuff, to sell be certifications and training materials.

The platform is available through a web interface (for studying) and
through a classic GUI interface (python/gtk), for test centers. It also
as a simple web API to play with (maybe a QGIS plugin ? :-) ).

We're right now working on a mobile interface.

This notes just to clarify our position with LPI :)

I'll be happy to show you our platform's features and/or plans, to see
if it can address your needs.

Best regards,

Christopher

Ps. I'm now subscribed to this ml, so no need for CCs :-)

--
Christopher R. Gabriel                          Truelite Srl
cgabriel at truelite.it (email/jabber)             Via Monferrato, 6