[Qgis-psc] Rolling out 1.0 - a proposal

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Mon Jun 23 15:21:32 PDT 2008

Hi

2008/6/23 Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>:
> Tim Sutton ha scritto:
>> Hi
>>
>> I agree with Marco too (even though I practice it poorly). However
>> - I dont think we have the funds to pay that kind of money (Paolo
>> would need to confirm this)
>
> A few thoughts and data:
> - we have about 2k US$
> - more money can come, if there is a specific objective and a practical
> way to use microdonations
> - if this model of dev works, I think we can start looking for more
> serious money from heavy QGIS users
> - IMHO, QGIS needs some care, especially for bugfixing and for crucial
> features; releasing a 1.0 without this, and with known serious bugs,
> will damage the public image of QGIS, and should be avoided.
> Therefore, I am very happy about the attractive proposal from Tim. One
> word of (over?)caution (I hope not to hurt anybody - I do not mean to).
> I think there is a potential conflict of interests (don't take me too
> seriously) here, where Tim is at the same time the release manager and
> the bugfixer. I would suggest, in order to be most effective, to grant
> the responsibility of setting up the targets to somebody else, possibly
> Gary or Marco.

As I've mentioned I'd be happy to recuse myself from any areas of
development where there is a perceived conflict of interest. As such I
think its better for me not to comment on what may or may not be
conflict of interest, and leave it up to the rest of the PSC to
determine that - I'll follow anything you determine necessary. I was
up in Pretoria for a meeting last week - it looks likely that I will
be able to stall them for at least one month (I have a bunch of admin
stuff to sort out anyway before I can start there). If the PSC can
decide / commit by the end of this month, I can try to set aside July.
During the course of July we can evaluate if its worth to continue on
the same basis for August (if that is possible for me).