[Qgis-psc] python plugins (was: dxf2Shp plugin)

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Fri Mar 28 12:47:38 PDT 2008

Hi

I have a different take on this. Im not really a fan of distributing
python plugins as they introduce all kinds of new packaging and
installation headaches and in many cases introduce arbitary new
dependencies. I prefer to adopt an approach where when someone whips
up a python plugin that proves useful, convert it to c++ and introduce
it to core.

Until 1.0 goes out however my feeling is that we should let the python
repo kinda do its own thing and establish a life of its own, while we
focus on the core goals of getting 1.0 browser functionality stable.
Then in the 2.0 cycle we can take a considered approach to building a
set of spatial analysis tools natively to QGIS core.

Just my 2c