[Qgis-psc] License for new QGIS Wiki

Otto Dassau otto.dassau at gmx.de
Thu Apr 23 23:14:40 PDT 2009

Hi,

I want to make the next step to find suitable licenses for QGIS internet
portals and the manuals. Therefore I would like to have a small voting:

a) QGIS blog and website to be generally licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0 as long
as it is not explicitely stated differently. I don't think it makes any
sense to license a forum or a bug tracker.

b) The "User Guide" as a typical Software documentation goes under GNU FDL.

c) The "Coding and Compilation Guide" will be GNU GPL. So it will be handled
like the QGIS sources.

After that I would ask Bernhard Reiter from the FSFE again, if he sees any
problems with our solution. And I think at least for the blog, we will have to
ask several contributors, if they agree to put their materials under CC-BY-SA
3.0.

regards,
 Otto

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 00:38:53 +0200
Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Otto Dassau wrote:
> > Hi Tim,
> >
> > here are my ideas at the moment. But I will read more about it to see if I
> > my ideas make sense at all :).
> >
> > a) I would suggest to have the wiki, blog and website content licensed under
> > CC-BY-SA 3.0 [1], as long as it is not explicitely stated different. For
> > example
> > when we provide links to the software or the PDF documentations, then we
> > would
> > add a hint that these materials are licensed under XY etc.
> >
> > b) The User Guide and later the DLA material for GIS beginners could be FDL
> > 1.3.
> > [2] I saw you already put tje DLA stuff under FDL - right? I also think FDL
> > fits
> > well for this kind of material and as Bernhard Reiter from FSFE also said:
> > "a
> > good choice for separate, independent documentation"
>
> Yes I put it under FDL and will probably put the videos under CC-BY-SA
> 3.0 as you have done for online content. I mainly asked because if the
> CC-BY-SA license is a good fit for the manual too it would simplify
> things a little. Otherwise what you say makes good sense.
>

> > c) The CODING and INSTALL texts from the QGIS sources, that we convert and
use
> > within the "Compiliation and Coding Guide" could/should be published as GNU
GPL