[Qgis-psc] maintainers

tim at linfiniti.com tim at linfiniti.com
Wed Nov 17 12:46:37 PST 2010

Hi

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Marco Hugentobler
<marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch> wrote:
> Hi all
>
>> Is that a fact or just an assumption?  I thought the maintainer were "just"
>> volunteers with interest in the parts they maintain.  That's the case for
>> me at least.
>
>> I would also assume - as Vivcent already suggested - that, if any, there
>> are contracts for new features only, but not actual maintenance.
>
> Yes, they are volunteers. I think what Paolo ment with that sentence is that
> parts of the code are well maintained because they have been added contract
> based (but the maintenance after that happens voluntarily).

Same for me....99.99% of what I do on QGIS has been voluntary....
Though I always thought in the back of my mind that it would be nice
to have some kind of funding pool to pay for the stuff that typically
wont be driven by contracts...e.g. maintaining code documentation.

If I can dream, I would like to see the some of us funded to just work
on QGIS and 'do good stuff' without any particular requirement for
implementing specific features from a client...though I guess we need
a fat EU grant like gvsig for that to happen....

>>We could open a call for donations or sponsorship specifically dedicated
>>to this.
>
> I'm not sure what is best.
>
> On one hand it might be worth a try to find some resources by donations.
> Especially for
> subsystems with a lot of users, but obviously little interest by companies  (I
> think Paolo mentioned the Grass plugin / provider or the Python
> infrastructure).
>
> On the other hand, I understand Jürgens objection that it could be problematic
> to fund maintenance / bugfixing directly from the project. If maintainers feel
> their voluntary work devaluated by a call for donations, it would be
> counterproductive.
>

> Regards,
> Marco
>

> Am Montag, 15. November 2010, um 21.01:16 schrieb Jürgen E. Fischer:
>> Hi Paolo,
>>
>> On Sun, 14. Nov 2010 at 13:31:12 +0100, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>> > We have areas (components) well covered by a maintainer, usually because
>> > he has contracts that cover their work.
>>
>> Is that a fact or just an assumption?  I thought the maintainer were "just"
>> volunteers with interest in the parts they maintain.  That's the case for
>> me at least.
>>
>> I would also assume - as Vivcent already suggested - that, if any, there
>> are contracts for new features only, but not actual maintenance.
>>

>> Jürgen
>

> --
> Dr. Marco Hugentobler
> Sourcepole - Linux & Open Source Solutions
> Webereistr. 66, CH-8134 Adliswil, Switzerland
> marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch http://www.sourcepole.ch
> Technical Advisor QGIS Project Steering Committee

 * QGIS programming services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net