[Qgis-psc] Forum and blog hosting

Gary Sherman gsherman at geoapt.com
Tue Nov 23 17:26:02 PST 2010

On 11/22/10 12:39 AM, Otto Dassau wrote:
> Hi Gary et al.,
>
> Werner and I can help you with the migration of the forum, if you like.
> Just tell us, what your plans are.
Ok, I hope to get started on it this weekend.

> And for the blog, Marco's idea seems to be accepted to find a software
> to combine external and own blog posts. Is that correct? If so, we can try
> to find a solution for that, too.
I have something similar running here: http://spatialgalaxy.net/planet

I haven't tried to make it look pretty---it has been running for a year
or two now...

Basically a blog aggregator. It could be used to aggregate qgis-specific
blogs into one place.

-gary

>   Otto
>
> Am Fri, 19 Nov 2010 07:21:51 +0100
> schrieb Paolo Cavallini<cavallini at faunalia.it>:
>
>> Il 19/11/2010 03:29, Gary Sherman ha scritto:
>>> Although several users didn't get feedback that is the nature of all
>>> forums. I think shutting it down would not be a good move.
>>
>> I understand. So why not putting a warning "No guarantees of a response
>> - for faster replies use ML or IRC"?
>>
>>> Actually I have been thinking about the bus factor for a while. I had
>>> been planning to suggest the move of the blog and forum for just that
>>> reason, even prior to my decision to shut down my server. I think we
>>> have a pretty good spread of admin privileges now, with the exception of
>>> the domain. The DNS is problematic since the domain is rolled in with
>>> all my others and there is no way to separate the administrative
>>> privileges. If anyone has any ideas how deal with this let me know.
>>
>> I assume your registrar does not allow you to split admins among your
>> registered sites, right?
>>
>>> I didn't contribute much, was nearly as tired as those at the hackfest
>>> since I've been sick since my recent travels. Good to see everybody
>>> though---it's amazing that nearly 30 people attended. When I think back
>>> to the early days of QGIS it's mind boggling...
>>
>> Indeed, the success of your original idea is amazing. I still remember
>> when I was reviewing Linux DesktopGIS applications: QGIS was
>> interesting, but did almost nothing.
>> All the best, and thanks for this.

Gary Sherman
Chair, QGIS Project Steering Committee