[Qgis-psc] Contributing an SQL Anywhere plugin/provider

Dave.DeHaan at sybase.com Dave.DeHaan at sybase.com
Tue Nov 30 11:48:55 PST 2010

Hi Tim,

Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote on 11/30/2010 01:54:42 PM:

> As per our email discussion, I support the addition of this provider
> and propose Dave be given SVN access so that he can directly
> contribute and maintain his work. Its really cool to have such
> additions make their way into the QGIS code base!

Thanks, Tim.

> It would be nice if possible for us (interested QGIS developers I
> guess) to test the SQL Anywhere provider. Is there some way we can get
> licenses of SQL Anywhere for personal use or is there otherwise some
> kind of trial version that we can use for this purpose?

Here is the full text of the message that the plugin/provider displays when
a user invokes it without having SQL Anywhere installed:

"The SQL Anywhere C API library (dbcapi.dll) was not found. Check that
client files for SQL Anywhere 12 or higher have been installed, and that
the installation directory is listed in your PATH.
To download the free Developer Edition of SQL Anywhere, visit
http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1016644 ."

That URL takes you to a page where you can download the free Developer
Edition (you do need to be willing to supply some basic registration info:
name, address, email, company, job title & function, etc).  The Developer
Edition allows free use of the product for application development,
testing, and prototyping, which allows the QGIS community to play around
with SQL Anywhere as long as it is not put into production use.  Here is a
link to the license:

http://www.sybase.com/files/Legal_Docs/Sybase_Developer_Edition_SQLAnywhere_v12_PSLT.pdf

If you choose not to accept that license, then the install reverts to an
unrestricted 60-day evaluation license.  See the following URL for a list
of other available editions (including two other free editions targeted to
Educational and Web use).

http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1068247

--Dave

----