[Qgis-psc] QGIS for android

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 07:25:03 PDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Marco Hugentobler
> <marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch> wrote:
>>>of course marco's super android gis would be my favourite
>>
>> doesn't sound too bad ;-)
>>
>> Since the code and the UI is the same as on Ubuntu/Mac/Windows,  I wonder if
>> we shouldn't just call it 'QGIS Desktop' and use 'QGIS Mobile' for a potential
>> later version with completely different gui (e.g. for small mobile phone
>> screen)?
>>

> What about QGIS Pad for pad devices and Mobile for phones etc.
>
> Ultimately it would be nice to see the pad version also having a more
> touch / mobile centric ui though.

What if we called the traditional QGIS application just 'QGIS' no
matter on what OS it is deployed and use 'QGIS Mobile' for the GUI
optimized for mobiles/tablets? There is not a great difference between
phones and tablets - the interaction happens in the same way - only
the screen size is different.

So on a tablet or phone you could install both QGIS and QGIS Mobile,
but mobile version would be recommended.

Martin