[Qgis-psc] QGIS forum

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Tue Jul 12 11:29:16 PDT 2011

Hi

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Maxim Dubinin <sim at gis-lab.info> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> Sorry for intruding PSC list, still unsure what are the rules for posting
> for non-PSC people.
>
> I think closing forum might be rather irritating thing to do from the point
> of view of people who ARE frequent there and provide/obtain support or just
> read often.
>
> Sorry, but I find reasons not enough convincing for closing and largely
> fixable.
>
> You shouldn't just shut the door for over 5000 members (I know some of them
> are bots, but still). Maillists and Stackexchange aren't for everyone and
> forums have their audience that prefers them over other means.
>
> To be constructive, (we) NextGIS can offer hosting and maintenance for QGIS
> forum. This hopefully will solve spam and slowness, we can't guarantee devs,
> but one of our developers is already "master" member on the forum.
> We support phpBB forum successfully over 7-8 years at
> http://gis-lab.info/forum so we know the tool.

Well this sounds fine to me. And as far as I know, anyone can post to the
psc list - the list is here for when the PSC needs to make a decision on
something. I actually liked the stackexchange idea too, but Maxims comments
make a lot of sense to me and I think its probably the way we should go.

Thanks Anita for all the work you have done on the forum and thanks Maxim
for your offer!

>  Maxim
>
> Вы писали 12 июля 2011 г., 2:50:30:
>

>  Hi PSC,
>
> It has already been discussed on developer mailing list: Some action has to
> be taken concerning QGIS forums.
>
> The current situation looks like this:
> - The forum attracts a lot of spam every day.
> - The forum is often down or slow to respond. (Therefor it takes a lot of
> time to remove spam and ban spammers.)
> - Developers don't frequent the forums so we have to forward people to the
> mailing list anyway.
>
> My suggested alternative would be to redirect developer questions to the
> mailing list and user questions to gis.stackexchange.org. This would
> reduce web infrastructure complexity for us while at the same time increase
> our visibility on the platform-independent stackexchange site.
>
> Since we are on our way to the next big release, updating our web
> infrastructure and other aspects of the QGIS project, I feel it's necessary
> to address this topic.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Anita

 * QGIS programming services